Paul & Julie
We recently joined a community garden that is about 2 miles from our apartment.  First of all, may I say that I know absolutely nothing about gardening except that I have killed several herb plants on our patio. However, this spring I have had this strong desire to learn.  I   went to a party they were throwing at the Cedar Cottage Community Garden because I was looking for a gardening mentor, you know, someone I could follow around the garden, teach me how to plant, when to water, etc.  When I got to the garden I found that they had just built at least 10 new raised beds and they were available for those who wanted to join the community, come to work parties (where everyone comes out to weed stuff, plant stuff, shovel compost, etc. - I'm so technical).  So, I ended up getting a gardening plot!  The great thing about being in a community garden is the "community" - I have met people in the garden who grew up on farms & have been gardening for years & some others who are just starting like me.  Everyone has been very helpful & willing to answer questions.  I figure that gardening is a great experiment, so you are always learning & I've heard things may never grow quite the same from year to year.  It has been a fun adventure so far and a great activity for Paul & I to do together.  We have planted tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, strawberries, lettuce, carrots, basil, thyme, & nasturtiums.  So, maybe we were a little overzealous for our first planting, but once you start putting stuff in there it is hard to stop.  
































Notice the baby green pepper on the tall plant behind me!  
1 Response
  1. Sarah Says:

    Looks great! We have a community garden in our neighborhood as well. Asher and his friend planted pumpkins and sunflowers...we were not as brave as you in our selection for this year.